transparent background graphics

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 1 18:41:49 PDT 2009

Well, first, thanks to all for your tips to help me get a good TOC
generated. I'm still working on that one, and while it hasn't
happened so far, I did find that several graphics pasted into some
reference pages from another document by my (not-so-FrameMaker-savy)
coworker resulted in prompts to find the path to them each time some
of these files were opened.

After I deleted those graphics from the reference pages and
re-imported them correctly, no more prompts for them.

But that's as far as I got on that because now, my boss has assigned
me a more pressing project, a revised cover design for this operator
manal (for a hydraulic excavator -- REAL hardware). After I
researched and assembled a great-looking cover, he held a meeting of
the project engineers (with me included) where those who only know
how to engineer started picking at and apart the work I had done.
Sheesh! (The cover got lots of kudos before the meeting because they
never had a tech writer here before.)

So now, I'm trying to modify my cover design, but am running up
against a seemingly immovable problem: importing a graphic with a
supposedly transparent background that still displays a white background.

My "revised cover" is to be slightly grey (perhaps 20% black tint,
using FrameMaker). And the company logo with name is in red (logo)
and black (company name in a custom font which I don't know or have).
Oh, and our home office is in China and they do things very
differently there and are very slow at responding.

I'm still learning the in's and out's of Paintshop Pro X2, so that's
another rocky road, but I think I successfully created a GIF file
graphic with "no" background (it displays in Paintshop Pro with a
checkered background) but only the red logo and black-lettered company name.

But when I import it, the background is white. I'm trying to keep
away from creating a GIF file with a 20% grey background because it's
just my luck that it probably won't match the FrameMaker 20% grey cover.

What to do? Please advise.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta