transparent background graphics

Les Smalley l_c_smalley at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 2 06:18:23 PDT 2009

Do you really require having the cover as a Frame document?  Is there some additional content (title text, revision date, etc.) that can only be handled in Frame?

I think it is better to create the cover as a PDF file directly from an illustration program that supports transparency.  You can add the text info as appropriate and also should be able to match the background (as a layer) and create a full page image of your cover.   I may be naive, but to me, 20% grey should be the same in both the graphic program and in FrameMaker.

If you absolutely much have it as a Frame document, you can import the PDF page as an image into a Frame file, probably as a background image on the page rather than in the flow.  In this case, you would not add the text info in the illustatration, but can "layer" that in the text frame over the image.  Also this image would replace the default 20% grey fill background.

– Les Smalley