Push or Click???

Tue Jun 2 07:50:36 PDT 2009

Shmuel Wolfson wrote:

> I would use Press (not Push) when the user has to physically press a
> button (like an ATM machine), Click when the user has to perform a
mouse
> click, and Tap when the user has to tap with a stylus.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shmuel Wolfson
> Technical Writer
> 052-763-7133
>

> Garnier Garnier wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a query:
> >
> > Which is technically accurate, Push the Browse button to activate
the
> browser on click the Browse button to activate the browser?
> >
> > B/R
> > Garnier

Agreed, except that you press _keys_ (whether on a keyboard or, like an
ATM or phone, a keypad). Push is what you do to elevator buttons,
doorbells, doors, and cars with dead batteries.

But other issues are at least as important as which word is technically
correct. Who is your audience? Are they complete computer novices? Is
there really a Browse button? (That's not a UI element I'm familiar with
-- I start browsers using shortcuts, the taskbar, or the Start menu.)

Don't get distracted by the references to keyboard shortcuts, different
mouse buttons, etc. Mention the latter only if this is for absolute
beginners, who have to be told how to work a mouse. Don't mention the
former (or any other alternate ways to accomplish the task) at all. If
the audience needs to be told _how_ to start the browser, tell them only
the one simplest, most direct way -- click Browse.

For anyone other than computer novices, I'd use a variant of Art's
suggestion: Start (not activate) your browser. Or better yet: Point your
browser to... Don't insult their intelligence -- just tell them what to
do and assume they know how (they prefer) to do it.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.