Topic changes heading levels

Judy judy at hypack.com
Tue Jun 2 09:31:38 PDT 2009

Art and Richard both recommended the idea of insetting topic body text
between the headings in a container doc.  My biggest qualm about using
container docs with all of the headings then insetting the body text is
the sheer number of insets.

I recently tried breaking my doc set into topic-sized fm docs, then
building the different outputs with the topic fm's as insets to a
chapter container.  It worked great w/ 1 chapter, but when I tested it
with the first 3 chapters, FM couldn't handle it.  (50% CPU usage  on a
2 Ghz CPU w/ 2Gb RAM and only FM was open. Plenty of hard drive space
too.) I may be able to compromise, in this case, and inset only those
whose headings change though.

Ted also suggested a tool by Silicon Prairie Software that uses mapping
tables to convert 1 para style to another.  It sounds like I could keep
a book of those topics whose headings need to shift levels and use this
tool to set the correct heading level before generating the final
output.  That sounds easy enough. Does anyone see any "gotchas" with
that approach?

Thank you all for your thoughts on this question. I always learn so much
from you on this list and I appreciate the time you take to make it what
it is.  I hope someday, I'll have gained enough experience and wisdom to
return the favor.
Judy