Horizontal Range Braces

Baruch Brodersen Baruch.Brodersen at bigbandnet.com
Tue Jun 16 06:15:06 PDT 2009

Z,

You can create horizontal range braces in the Delimiter menu of the Equation editor (Special > Equations Delimiter).

Inserting them is a little trickier. Create an equation with the sole content being the horizontal range brace. To extend the width of the brace you need to add text characters in the equation. If you don't want those to appear in your final document, create a color---name it something like "Invisible" (Special > Color > Definition > New Color) and then give it an invisible view: (Special > Color > View > Invisible).

[It's been a while since I've done this, so feel free to chime in on the correct method.]

Then create a new charter format and set everything to As Is except the color, which you should make Invisible. Use that to make the characters needed to widen the horizontal range brace disappear.

Shrink-wrap the equation (Esc, m, p), then select the equation's anchored frame and change the alignment from Cropped to Floating (Special > Anchored Frame). Drag the horizontal range brace to the location you want, then right-click to send-to-back or front, or whatever. You might consider creating the whole lot in a text inset so the horizontal range brace moves with the text.

Best,

Baruch Brodersen