Overset Manager (or a similar Framescript) for FrameMaker?

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 05:22:28 PDT 2009

Even with William's script as a base...

In general, including text in a graphic isn't usually considered a
good practice for just the reason you point out -- during translation,
the text shrinks or grows, depending on the target languages, and that
can require minute adjustment to the graphic.

A better solution is often to label key points in the graphic with
letters or numbers, maybe in circles so they stand out. Then provide
the relevant text in a text box or caption outside the graphic. In
Frame and other layout programs, that can allow the text to grow as
necessary without affecting the graphic.

Which also reduces translation costs because the translator doesn't
have to perform surgery on the graphic itself -- the callout and
caption information is just another text stream.

Art Campbell
               art.campbell at gmail.com
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358