FM-9.0p237 - Distiller 8.1.0 colour/font odds

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Jun 18 17:04:40 PDT 2009

> I say that Save As PDF _is_ _now_ the preferred way to create PDFs.

> But there is no reason to warn against using Save As PDF.

Wow. I'd sure take issue with that advice. I've been using FrameMaker since
version 6.0, and been a member of the forum since that time. There have been
countless times that weird PDF problems have shown up and the simple cure
for users was to print to Adobe PDF instead of using Save As PDF. I have
never heard of an instance of a cure being the other way around. Save as PDF
has been flakey, for whatever reason, to varying degrees, in every version.
No doubt, there are a lot of reasons for the problems, but I think it's bad
advice to say there's no reason to warn against its use, when so often
avoiding its use is all that is necessary to make things work right.

In FM9, a valiant effort was made to finally add proper CMYK conversion for
Windows users. Too bad they tied it to Save as PDF, because it broke that
feature even worse and it doesn't work right. Check out this thread on the
Adobe FrameMaker General Discussion Forum to see the problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1237125#1237125

Referring to CMYK conversion in Save as PDF, terms like "broken from the get
go" and "not recommended (by me)" are being used in the thread. (It's
possible that some of these issues were fixed in later patches. I don't
know. I quit using Save as PDF at version 6.0.)

Mike Wickham