Producing HTML help pages in FM for Eclipse help

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Fri Jun 19 13:06:27 PDT 2009

Hi Mathieu:

I'm using FM 7.2 on XP, too, and I'm turning FM books into Eclipse User Assistance. I can't think of anything special about writing in FrameMaker to create Eclipse help files, but I can think of some things I did in FrameMaker because I'm using Mif2Go to convert the books.

By the way, are you using structured or unstructured FM? Not that it matters much; I'm just curious.

I wanted to split my chapters into smaller files because it's pretty rotton to have to scroll through a long file in Eclipse UA, so I used a Mif2Go-defined marker in FM to provide file names wherever I split the file. Otherwise, Mif2Go generates a file name based on the paragraph ID, and that changes a lot.

I've also used markers to specify graphics that I want replaced with specific files, not the automatically converted JPEGs.

And if you're indexing, and if you have any "see" or "see also" references, you'll need a plugin from Sundorne called IndexRef. When the index file is converted to an Eclipse keyword index, any "see" or "see also" references will link to the place where you created them in the FM chapters. What you'd really like them to do is link to the term to which they refer in the index, but Eclipse isn't up to doing that yet. The next best thing is to not make them link anywhere.

So, how are you turning your FM books into Eclipse UA?

Fei Min Lorente