Font Issues - Unavaiilable Fonts and Font Information Changed - Recap

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Mon Jun 22 08:21:31 PDT 2009

Oran Petersen wrote:

> Following the two recent threads on the list concerning fonts, I did
> not see a comprehensive recap of these issues for cause and cure.
>
> CAUSE-Unavailable fonts
>
> 1. Most postscript printers come loaded with a set of Postscript
> fonts.
>
> 2. If you set a postscript printer as your default, Windows will
> "see" these fonts and allow you to use them in your documents. Also,
> if you copy/paste text from another document that uses them you can
> also inject them into your documents.

Good summary, Oran, thank you.

Two further points:

Some printer drivers can be set so that Windows *doesn't* see the
printer's fonts.  The driver for our Lexmark of a few years ago had a
checkbox labelled "Do not report printer fonts to applications" (or
similar wording), which I always kept checked.  Unfortunately, our
current printer does not offer the same choice.  No big deal, since I
use SetPrint anyway, but this info may help others.

I also advocate the use of PureText for pasting content from other
applications.  After installation, Ctrl+v continues to work normally,
but Windows+v pastes the clipboard contents with formatting removed.
It's free:
http://stevemiller.net/PureText

best regards,

--