Use of "please" in technical documentation and messages on screen

Fri Jun 26 09:06:50 PDT 2009

Syed.Hosain wrote:

> Mike Wickham wrote:
>
> > Actually, the way I would write the message avoids passive voice and
> omits
> > needless words. I would write, "Updating result list. Please
wait..."

> This is how I'd do it too ... :)

Likewise. And it's how Microsoft often does such status messages, so I
don't think they'd chide you. There's nothing wrong with using sentence
fragments in display (rather than narrative) text, like status and error
messages, labels, tooltips, etc.

Or you could think of "Updating result list" as a complete sentence with
an understood/implied subject. :-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer