FM9 Figure and Table Title Auto-Number Errors

Fri Jun 26 15:33:14 PDT 2009

In my response to Alison's numbering query, I included one bit of real
stupidity. We corresponded off-list about it, but I thought I'd better
correct myself on-list before I confuse someone else.

The problem is in this part:
> > If it matters, my Appendix heading style (Heading1App) is
"A:Appendix
> > <A+>:" and my Appendix Table styles are as follows .
> >
> > Table#A 1 6A = U:Table <$chapnum>\+<n+>:
> > Table#A+ 1 6A = U:Table <$chapnum>\+<n+>:
>
> The "<A+>" in the heading style means use upper-case alpha numbering
--
> it's the old way of doing things and works fine in this instance. But
> I'd make it consistent with the rest of your numbering settings and
> replace "<A+>" with "<$chapnum>" so it's numbering is controlled by
the
> Chapter numbering settings, as I described above.
>
> And if you do that, you won't need a separate Heading1App for
appendices
> -- Heading1 will work just fine because the <$chapnum> variable will
> have the appropriate value for whatever book component it's in.

Umm ... yes, you do still need separate Heading1 and Heading1App pgfs.
The <$chapnum> variable will take care of changing "1" to "A," but
nothing's going to automagically change the hardcoded text "Chapter" to
"Appendix." Oops.

(My excuse is that our template uses the same pgf tag for both because
its autonumber contains only the <$chapnum> variable, no text string. So
I didn't think...)

Sorry 'bout that! I'll slink away now and call it a week...

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.