Logging FrameMaker book errors in a text file

Gordon Furbush gfurbush at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 14:57:02 PDT 2009

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the heads up on FrameScript.  I hadn't heard of that tool.

Today I worked out a simple (and cheap) solution to the missing graphic file issue.  We build from a CVS repository and people sometimes forget to add newly created graphics to the repository, so it is very important to be able to automatically check for missing graphics.

Due to a bug in FrameMaker 8 that improperly generates XML, our book build generates MIF files for all of the FM files.  My simple solution is to grep through each MIF file for the names of the imported graphic and then do an 'ls' to confirm each graphic is actually in the proper directory.  If the graphic is missing, an error is logged and a flag is thrown at the end of the build.  Works like a charm and now I'm FINALLY comfortable with our automated book-build process.

- Gordon