Save As not working with Acrobat Pro 9.0

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 06:15:29 PDT 2009

Not exactly correct, Nadine. The message that Garnier refers to occurs whenever you change the printer you have selected--for example when you change from your system's default printer to the Adobe PDF printer. The reason for the message is that on a Windows system the information on font metrics (the dimensions of individual glyphs) come from the printer driver; when you change to a different printer, you change to a differen driver and a different database of font metrics, hence the warning.

One solution is to set the Adobe PDF virtual printer as your system default, so that there is no change in the printer selection when you make a PDF. Another approach is to downoal and install the SetPrint plug-in from sundorne.com, which allows you to set the default printer _for_FrameMaker_ independently from the system printer selection.

But if the fonts that appear in the document itself change, it is an indication that Garnier has not correctly configured the font locations in Distiller after installing the Acrobat suite, and/or that Garnier's document uses a font that is resident in some phyiscal printer but not installed in "soft" form on the local system. Fonts have to be accessible to the Distiller (located on local or network drives in locations that are set up in the Distiller Font Locations configuration) for the Adobe PDF printer to be able to use them.

-Fred Ridder