Can Word identify graphic file names?

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Tue Jun 30 15:32:53 PDT 2009

Thanks to the folks who suggested that I convert the Word docs to
HTML to obtain the filenames for the graphics. If I remember, that
was a trick useful when the original graphics are not available
because saving to HTML causes Word to convert the graphics to gifs
and jpgs.  But in doing so, the HTML then references the converted
file's filename, not the filename of the graphic actually used in the
Word doc. Having gifs and jpgs of the graphics doesn't help me much
because I need to be able to use the .eps and .tif files given to me on the CD.

Is there something I should be doing to force Word to save the
filename of the graphics? It doesn't seem to matter if I copy and
paste a graphic or insert it by navigating to the file (sorta
equivalent to Frame's importing by reference)--Word 2000 and Word
2003 still convert the file when saving as HTML.

Carol