Can Word identify graphic file names?

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Tue Jun 30 16:05:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:26:07 -0600, "Carol J. Elkins"
<celkins at awrittenword.com> wrote:

>I've been given a CD with over 1500 graphic files of all formats on
>it. These graphics are used in a MSWord-formatted manual that I need
>to convert to FrameMaker. Unlike FrameMaker, which can easily
>generate a list of external files used and will also display the
>filename of each referenced graphic, to my knowledge there is no way
>to determine the filename of any graphic used in a Word doc.
>
>I can easily generate a thumbnail catalog of the graphic files on the
>CD using Photoshop so that I can visually locate each photo in the
>manual. But geez I so seriously do not want to have to do that. Does
>anyone know a workaround in Word that will help me identify all of
>these graphic files? A macro? I am not a Word guru so all help is
>appreciated.

If Word knew the name of the graphic at import, that is, if
the image was imported from a file rather than pasted in,
Word should still have the original name.  Try saving the
Word file to RTF, then run Mif2Go's exwmf.exe utility,
which is in the free unlimited demo available at:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm

The User's Guide explains, in par. 29.6.2, "Using the
Mif2Go exwmf utility":
> Run the exwmf utility program included with Mif2Go on
> the Word RTF file, by typing on a command line:
>   exwmf filename.rtf
> This utility extracts from Word's RTF the internal WMF
> image that Word made for each imported graphic, and
> names it according to the original graphic name but
> with a .wmf extension.

For bitmaps, WMF includes a BMP of the image, rather
than the original image format.  But that is what Word
keeps.  Given the name, however, you may be able to
locate the original.

Another possibility is to show all Word field codes,
and see if any INCLUDEGRAPHIC fields show up by the
images.

HTH!