FrameMaker 8 behavior

Joe Malin jmalin at jmalin.com
Sun Mar 1 10:31:14 PST 2009

To all Framers everywhere:

When you post technical problems like this, you'll get the fastest, most
accurate, and most useful response when you add in these points of
information:

   - Which type and version of OS you're on (ie Windows XP Pro, SP 2)
   - Your hardware details (Computer maker and model, amount of RAM, type of
   video card, type of monitor)
   - Your network details including connection type and provider (ie DSL
   from SBC)
   - Version of software you're using (which Thomas has dutifully provided!)
   - *Detailed* steps you use to duplicate the problem.
   - How long the problem has been occurring. Here, Thomas does not say if
   this has always happened or just started.
   - Does it occur with other software?

In the modern world, it also helps to note what type of monitor you're
using, and if you're using any fancy hardware such as a KVM switch (a
hardware device that lets you share a keyboard, video display, and mouse
between two or more computers).

To Thomas:

In this case, I am curious to know if you are using a KVM switch,
particularly one that is connecting two computers that use DVI. I have seen
a similar phenomenon in my home setup, which I attribute to my inexpensive
and therefore somewhat flaky KVM switch. I am supporting two Windows XP Pro
computers, one a homebuilt with a powerful video card using full DVI, and
the other my work Lenovo laptop (through a docking station) also using DVI.

If you are using a KVM switch, try disconnecting it and routing your monitor
directly to the computer on which you're running FM. See if that fixes the
problem. If it does, it's a switch problem.

Also, please write back to tell us if this behavior occurs in any other
software.

Joe