Dreaded Distiller barf

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 09:53:36 PST 2009

FrameMaker 7.0p577 in Classic on OS X 10.4.11, Adobe and Apple printer drivers.

Every page I've tried to create PDF from in this book, even from a single page, gives the following in Distiller (6.0):

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: closefile:÷ ]%%

Stack:
-file-
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

There are no graphics in the test document and no missing fonts. I am outputting Ps from the printer driver and distilling separately.

I have searched the archives, and I've even looked in the Adobe PostScript reference manual, but I am none the wiser. I have also tried both the printer drivers I have here, the Adobe one (set up with the Acrobat PDD) and the Apple one. The results are the same.

In the past when I have encountered this sort of problem, it's been associated with a referenced .eps file, but there are none here. Everything looks as expected when the files are displayed on screen. Fonts are Monotype Arial and Monotype Sabon.

Can anyone point me in a helpful direction?

--
Steve