searching for a section symbol

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Mar 6 07:12:02 PST 2009

Klaus Daube wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2009 at 13:59, Stuart Rogers wrote:
>
>> <scratches head>
>> Hmm.  I only did the quickest test so didn't encounter finding all those
>> other spaces.  Does seem like \f has no effect. </scratches head>
>
> Well, actually we are no searching for the section symbol § (as text), but for the text
> symbol representing: end of flow, end of cell, end of footnote.
>
> In FrameMaker 8 (p277) a search for " \f" (without the quotes) will find what you search for.
> However, in a document containing footnotes and tables, the \f (with no preceeding character,
> such as a or * (wildcard for any except punctuation) will enter each cell and each footnote…

Hi Klaus,

In FM 7, the Help says "\f" will find end of flow or end of table cell,
but a search for " \f" finds every space in the document without regard
to its position, and a search for "\f" brings up an error message.

When I have the courage to install my TCS 2 trial, I'll see what FM 9 does!

best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product."

-- Eleanor Roosevelt