re-use 101

Mollye Barrett mollye at clearpath.cc
Wed Mar 11 12:18:43 PDT 2009

Joel,

There are so many ways to meet your goals using FrameMaker... You asked for
unstructured Frame and reuse so here's a take:

When using unstructured Frame I've solved this problem using text insets and
a simple spreadsheet for tracking "where used" information. I have a client
that wanted to enhance their reuse strategy but were not ready to move their
group to structure and XML. They had been using the copy/paste method for
years and were unable to maintain books after release.

So, I analyzed the usage across 3 product models and 15 books (content was:
exactly the same, similar, different or not used). Based on the analysis, I
created reusable topics (text insets) and imported them by reference into
the specific section containers and then created serial number books. (Note,
I handle graphics in the same way and often a text inset may reused with a
model specific graphic. So, there's a bit of rewrite/reflow up front for
optimal reuse.)

Reuse analysis across 15 English books was very high: 70% for text (insets)
and 55% for graphics.

The books are large (10 sections, about 700 pages) and the client now
happily builds at least 3 books (serial number specific) a week using this
scheme. They also translate each complete book into at least one other
language...sometimes two. So, tracking, managing and publishing those
translations is a lot easier now too)

The books are saved to PDF right now. The conversion table and EDD are
complete so the next step is structure and then XML delivered to knowledge
base on the web.

Real trick to this is the analysis, a bullet-proof template (section/inset)
with no overrides and maintaining the "where used" information. The rest is
the simplest of FrameMaker features.

Let me know if I've been clear enough with this! And when you're ready for a
content management solution, I'll gladly make some recommendations:)

Mollye Barrett, ClearPath, LLC
content management solutions
414-331-1378 (cell)