<xnumber> in page headings

Bill Rost Bill.Rost at retalix.com
Wed Mar 11 11:09:10 PDT 2009

I've learned a lot by just following the conversations on this list, and
thanks to all you EXPERTS who provide the answers. Hope you can help me.

I'm working in FrameMaker 7.2 and have several FrameMaker books with the
same template applied.

In a .pdf of one of the books, instead of the current page number (like
a 1, 2, ...) in the header, I see "<xnumber>34". Yikes! The other books
show the page number that I expect.

Looking at the Master Page of the problematic book, I see "Running H/F 1
<xnumber>#" (without question marks). When selected, the "<xnumber>#"
translates to Current Page # in Variables, and when I click Edit I see
"<xnumber><$curpagenum>".

In the boilerplate template and other books, looking at Master Pages, I
do see "Running H/F 1 #", and the pound sign is in red. When selected,
the "#" translates to Current Page # in Variables, and when I click
Edit, I see "<xnumber><$curpagenum>", the same as in the problematic
book.

I've searched FrameMaker Help and this list for info about <xnumber> and
about displaying variables. Is there a display setting that is causing
this problem? Do I have two totally different variables? What does the
red color on the # sign mean?

Bill Rost

Technical Writer

Retalix USA

5210 E. Williams Circle, Suite 300

Direct: (520) 298-7757 x 3192

Main:  (520) 298-7757

Fax: (520) 747-1660

"You can't push a rope." - old cowboy saying