FrameMaker and Accessibility

Madeleine r Dimond mrdimond at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 16 15:08:08 PDT 2009

We're beginning to make our documents accessible, and we'd like to work in
FrameMaker as much as possible, rather than retouch them in Acrobat.

We have some icons that we use before notes, tips, and other asides. I'd
prefer that the reader skip the graphic because the word "Note" is part of
the text. However, in Acrobat the Reading Order tool shows the graphic as
"No alternative text exists," and the person checking the document says
that's not acceptable, even though it doesn't cause a reading problem.

So is there any way to set the anchored frame properties for the graphic
so that Acrobat will recognize it as background text and its Reading Order
tool will ignore it?

Is there any Accessibility group associated with FrameMaker?

Best,

Madeleine