Elementary Autonumber Question

Shuttleworth, Roger Roger_Shuttleworth at tvworks.com
Tue Mar 17 06:44:34 PDT 2009

Hello John(?)

Basically, what you have is this:

M: - a "series label" that identifies this numbering scheme and distinguishes it from all other numbering schemes. You can have dozens of numbering
schemes in a doc, but in practice one or two usually suffices.

Fig. - literal text that will appear in the autonumbered paragraphs as "Fig. ".

<$chapnum> - the number of the chapter within the book. This is usually set through the book numbering properties. With the book active, right-click a
chapter and choose Numbering, then Chapter.

\+ - a non-breaking hyphen. See, in your FM user guide or help, the section "Typing in Dialog Boxes" for an explanation of these codes. This chapter
is your friend.

< >< ><n+> - placeholders for three different autonumbered items. The first two < > items refer to something other than figures (perhaps tables or
something else). The < > code maintains the autonumber value at its present value, without incrementing it. It also means, "don't display this number
in this paragraph". So when you use the Caption paragraph, it does not increment these values, and neither does it display them. The <n+> code, on the
other hand, represents your actual caption number. It increments it by 1 and displays it. If you look at your other paragraph formats, you'll find one
that uses M:<n+>< >< > or similar, and one that uses M:< ><n+>< > or similar. These formats control the numbering of the other items in the series.

: - a literal colon, that will appear in the numbered paragraph.

\  - a backslash followed by a space, which is the code for a non-breaking space (see the "Typing in Dialog Boxes" chapter that I mentioned earlier).

So your caption will appear as Fig. 1: The title of the figure

I'll send you separately a document that explains FM autonumbering. If you read it a couple of times (at least, it took me a couple of times!) all
will become clear. It was written for FM5.5 so is a bit out of date; 5.5 did not support the <$chapnum> variable.

Hope this helps.

Roger Shuttleworth
London, Canada