Estimating hrs for docs

Krishna Mukherjee kmukh at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:06:36 PDT 2009

I understand. We do not do much graphics except for a few generic ones. So I would skip the graphics category.

Thanks,

Krishna

To: kmukh at hotmail.com
CC: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Estimating hrs for docs
From: dastarr at ra.rockwell.com
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:37:36 -0500

Hi Kirshna,

I notice one item that is lacking - graphics.

Graphics can range from simply importing an existing file to creating a complex 3D drawing from scratch.  Thus the estimate for each graphic can range from minutes to days.

Best regards,
Dave Starr

Sr. Technical Information Developer |  Architecture and Software
Phone: 952.942.3617
Email: dastarr at ra.rockwell.com
Rockwell Automation | 6950 Washington Avenue South | Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Krishna Mukherjee <kmukh at hotmail.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
03/16/2009 01:51 PM

<framers at lists.frameusers.com>

cc

Subject
Estimating hrs for docs

I needed some input on how to plan new and updated documentation. We are in the Semiconductor business, working on user guides, reference manuals, and silicon validation reports. If you feel that this discussion is off-topic, please feel free to send me an email with your suggestion:
knukh at hotmail.com

Here is an estimate that I came across the STC website. Is this reasonable? Our documents are in Frame and Word. The final output is in PDF format.

Baseline from the STC website:

Writing new text 3 - 5 hours per page

Revising existing text 1 - 3 hours per page

Editing 6 - 8 pages per hour

Production preparation 5 percent of all other
activities

Consider this preliminary estimate to represent the
number of hours needed if you follow your “normal”
development process and if the project proceeds without
any major problems.

Thanks,
Krishna