Compare Utility Problem in FM 8

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Mar 17 13:48:13 PDT 2009

Joseph,

You wrote:

>I am trying to compare two books using the compare utility. When I attempt
>to execute the utilty on the book level, I receive the following error.
>
>"No flow in the document named [document name.fm] has unique names. To be
>compared, documents must contain uniquely named flows with matching names.
>
>Flow names: A."
>
>I assume this has to do do with the flow in the text frame of the named
>document. In the document that had the problem, I tried changing the Text
>Frame's flow tag to B, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

When I encountered this last (a few years ago), the problem had to do with
the "A" flow present in text frames on the reference page(s) of the
documents being compared (which is of no practical significance and should
have been ignored). Try locating such text frames in Reference pages and
modify accordingly.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Acrobat courses