Re-referencing Frame Maker Graphics

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Tue Mar 17 14:16:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:47:45 -0400, "Eisenloeffel, Martin" <meisenloeffel at equitrac.com> wrote:

>I have a situation wherein I have a number of documents whose referenced
>graphics are peppered across multiple folders on a network. There's a
>lot of redundancy among the graphics and many unused graphics as well.
>What I'd like to do is consolidate all the used graphics into a single
>folder per document and re-reference them into their respective
>documents.
>
>Currently, the best thing I can think of is to break all the links by
>moving the graphics where I want them and then updating the graphics to
>the right place manually when I open any given file. The trouble is, I'm
>looking at multiple hundreds of graphics in total, making it an onerous
>task.
>
>So, my question for the group is two-prong:
>
>1. Can anyone offer a better solution?

Yes.  Get Bruce Foster's Archive plugin.  You can run it for each
file, and it will gather the referenced graphics into a single
folder and update the references to them.  It's $25 shareware.
  http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.foster/products.htm

>2. If I go with what I think is the best solution, is there a way to get
>Frame to parse out a list of all used graphics in a given file so I know
>what I'm moving?

That would be a generated List of References, where you select
imported graphics as the items to reference.  You do it the same
way you generate a TOC or IX.  Or if you want it alphabetical,
rather than sequential, make an Index of References instead.

>Thanks for any help!

HTH!