Omega symbol becomes W in pdf

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 06:20:47 PDT 2009

I was just thinking, "Well, doctors would probably catch a dosage error
that's a thousand times greater than what they expect."

THEN I thought, "Yes -- they might, but what about an automated system
that's had the incorrect values ported into it to begin with?"

A few years ago, a notorious and tragic medical mistake occurred in
Boston. The health reporter for the Boston Globe, a beautiful young
woman with young children, no less, was treated for breast cancer. She
was erroneously given massive doses of one of her chemotherapy drugs,
and no one caught the error. It killed her.

The Globe pursued the story mercilessly. One of the resulting
"improvements" to medical practice was a system that would automatically
double-check every dosage prescribed for patients. "Oh, yes," I thought
at the time, "this will certainly catch situations in which a doctor's
handwriting is illegible and the nurse misreads it, or somebody is
simply asleep at the switch and scribbbles down the wrong thing .. . "

Well, yeah, but what if the data ported into the wonderful new automated
system is wrong to being with? Who will guard the guards?

Just don't get sick.

--Nancy