FrameMaker 9 Recent File History Bug

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Mar 20 10:18:56 PDT 2009

Hi, Megha,

That didn't work. However, it lead me to a solution. Until recently, I have
always used the unstructured interface. However, I recently watched one of
the online FrameMaker 9 videos about the new FM9 interface and workspaces.
In it,  the speaker (RJ Jacquez?) suggested choosing the structured
interface, since the user loses nothing and the extra tools are available if
needed. So I recently switched to structured interface. I had forgotten
that.

I was reminded when, after deleting the maker.ini file in the user area as
you suggested, FrameMaker again asked me to choose between the structured
and unstructured interface. I chose structured interface. I opened
FrameMaker, opened some files, and saw that they appeared (for now) in the
recent file list. I closed FrameMaker. When I reloaded it, the recent file
list had reverted to the previous one. The newly opened files were no longer
listed. The problem remained.

So I switched back to the unstructured interface, and closed FrameMaker. I
reloaded FrameMaker and opened some files. Then closed and reopened
FrameMaker. Aha! The recent file list is now correct.

_So it appears this problem exists only with the structured interface._ As a
test, I switched back to structured interface and the problem returned. So I
am back to running unstructured interface, as that is really all I need.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that your team has been actively
trying to squash bugs. The work you've all done on the new FrameMaker 9 has
been impressive. I think you've made some really good and major improvements
to a program that I've been using since version 6, and have found to be very
capable and stable.

Mike Wickham