Finding the Table Anchor Symbol

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri Mar 20 13:30:01 PDT 2009

Pinkham, Jim wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm asking an obvious or repetitive question here, but
> I've not had any luck elswhere:
>
> I have numerous tables that are anchored at the end of a text line. I'd
> like to find them and do a replace that inserts a paragraph (i.e., a
> blank line) before the table.
>
> Can I do this with find and replace? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I don't think you can do it with Replace.  You can certainly Find Any
Table or Find Table Tag, but each of these selects the entire table and
its anchor symbol so any replacement would obliterate the table.

You could do a pretty rapid series of keyboard shortcuts, though:

Start at the end of the book or file.
Edit > Find Any Table (Find Backward), then:
Alt + f (to find the last table)

Repeat:
   Left Arrow
   Right Arrow
   Enter (puts in your new pgf)
   Alt + e, f (puts focus on Find dialog)
   Alt + f (finds previous table)

...until done.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product."

-- Eleanor Roosevelt