Frame 9 UI Scren Mode and Tab Icon Issues

Oran Petersen orandeep at comcast.net
Sat Mar 21 12:50:07 PDT 2009

I am using TCS2 with Frame 9 with the patch on XP SP3.

For me the new user interface seems a little confusing and inconsistent in how it works, but I am figuring out most of it by experimentation and trial & error. The Help file is mostly worthless. Seems they forgot to update it for the new interface and icons in many cases.

Two UI items however, escape me.

1. I cannot get the Paragraph Formatting tool bar Tab icons to work. On earlier versions I could drag them onto the ruler to add new tabs. While I can move existing tabs on the ruler, I cannot seem to add new with the icons. The tab icons seem inoperative, as I cannot make to do anything through dragging, double-click, etc. I do see the "New Tab Stop" text in the paragraph designer flicker when I click an icon, but nothing else happens .

2. If I use the "Screen Mode" icon to select  "Full Screen Mode" the menus correctly disappear. So far the only way I have found to get back out of that mode is to close and reopen the file using keyboard shortcuts. (Ctrl-W) I cannot find a keyboard shortcut or key to get back out, and menu is gone of course. What is interesting is that re-opening the file gives you the menus back, but "Screen Mode" remains in "Full Screen Mode" (checkmark) even though it is not.

With respect to "Recent Items" on the splash screen and "File>History" I find expected behavior both before and after installing the patch. Seems to work OK for me.

Oran Petersen