Need to have larger fonts in dialog boxes and for menu items on the Solaris platform

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon Mar 23 11:28:54 PDT 2009

Hi, Sharon:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Sharon Veach <sharon.read at sun.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Second try, more platform information.
> I am running Frame on a Solaris system on a GNOME desktop.  The GNOME
> desktop preferences fonts do not affect the font of anything in Frame -
> not the menus,
> not the default text size in the window, not the size of the initial
> Frame menu box.
>
> How can I increase the font size of menu items and dialog box fonts from
> within Frame?
>
> I can increase the font size where I type, but I am having difficulty
> seeing
> the fonts in dialog boxes. The File Open dialog box is particularly
> tricky, since
> it is the first one that comes up, and its font size is minute.
>
> In EPIC, you can pass the fonts to the application by running the
> following command
> in a shell:
>
> epic -font encoding:iso88591-family:helvetica-size:14
>
> When I try that with Frame, the format of the font is not recognized:
>
> maker -font encoding:iso88591-family:helvetica-size:14
>
> Frame returns the message:
> **Warning: Cannot convert string
> "encoding:iso88591-family:helvetica-size:16" to type FontStruct **
>
> So, what is the magic format where a font encoding is readable by Frame,
> and then Frame can turn it
> into a FontStruct that Frame recognizes?
>
> Thanx for any pointers,
> Sharon
> _______________________________

Look for the PDF or .fm document "Customizing Frame Products" in the
onlinemanuals directory in your FM installation tree. It may be in the
fminit directory. I believe that Unix FM is the only FM version that
permits customizing the fonts in dialog boxes. I may be wrong on this
- it may only customize fonts in catalog titles, like Character Format
catalog and Paragraph Format catalog, and menu titles and options.

Many unix FM properties are configurable via x-resources. I seem to
recall that an x-resource can set fonts.

Another approach is to lower your screen resolution to show less real
estate at a larger size.

HTH

Regards,

Peter