FM-9: some really hard things to digest

Klaus Daube frame at daube.ch
Fri Mar 27 03:48:22 PDT 2009

Dear all,

Since I have noticed that Adobe _is_ watching this list and responding
to user complaints much more than some years before, i take the courage
to complain about some items in the new interface. I'm a Frame user
since version 3 and have provided some useful things to the community.

The CS4 user interface has its merits (more flexibility, definable
workspace etc), but it also has its drawbacks, because IMHO it is
'overdesigned'. You may see my personal notes about some details in FM-
9 at http://daube.ch/z_temp/fm9-details.pdf
You may also compare my rants with Jakob Niesen's Ten Usability
Heuristics at http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html
in particular Visibility of system status; Recognition rather than
recall.

1) Elements of the UI can not easily be recognised because everything
is gray as November.
   I need to mouse around to find the active areas. In some instances
the difference between
   an active area and an information/label ist nil. Since buttons are
coloured only in
   hovered state, it is difficult to find functions on the large screen
- especially if
   the arrangement in different workspaces is not the same.

<rant>
Graphic artist seem to have a preference for black. Just look at
Adobe's brochures. All seven graphic artist I know personally here in
Switzerland wear black - the same as bankers...
</rant>

2) I'm working with more than just FM open at a time. Switching back to
FM does not indicate
   in any form whether the window is activated or not! There is no
difference between an
   active or inactive FM window. Oh, yes, the cursor blinks - but find
an I-beam on a 30"
   screen immediately! And sometimes there is no I-beam at all.

3) Font size in dialogs is meager. It is still 8pt (as defined in the
various resource
   files. This size is far to small for the now large screens with high
resolution. One
   takes a little more distance to the screens if it gets larger... The
standard UI font
   on Windows (MS Sans Serif) makes it often difficult to distinguish
characters 1Iil, 5S,
   2Z, rnm etc. The interface does not honour the Windows setting for
"Large Fonts"

4) The application window has no title at all. Hence the full path of
an open document
   can not be displayed anywhere. It can not be determined whether I'm
working on a local
   file or one a copy from the network. Frequenctly I must work on
files which have the
   same file name on different paths. How to distinguish? I can find
the full path only
   in the bottom pod, Insets. And what, if the file has no insets and
no pictures?

BTW my dictionary says for pod: seed pouch, seed case produce by some
plants; fuel container in an airplane; herd of whales; group of birds.

I strongly hope that these flaws are not the result of concrete-set
properties of the CS4-UI.
Klaus Daube

http://mymemo.ch und nie mehr einen Gedanken oder Termin verpassen.