Thumbs down: FrameMaker 9 Welcome Screen

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Mar 27 06:42:10 PDT 2009

> I also do not like the fact that FM9 opens a book file on the left side of
> the FM window and its huge and docked.  The last thing I need is to have a
> book file take up 1/3 of the screen.  It's also VERY annoying to have to
> shrink it and move it every time I open it.

Clicking on the double arrow above the book file tab shrinks the file to a
button that's pretty small.

> This is a total waste of my
> time. The book file needs to return to the screen in whatever size and
> position it is saved in, just like FM8 and previous versions. They have
> made
> FM considerably less productive by forcing somebody's idea of "pretty" on
> everyone.

Interesting. No version of FrameMaker ever remembered the size of the book
file window for me. I always had to resize it larger. In FM9, the default
window is tall enough that I can see the whole tree in the book file without
resizing. I like it-- though I find the window to be wider than necessary.
It extends about an inch to the right of the rightmost icon in the header
bar.

Mike Wickham