TOC Trouble

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:34:25 PDT 2009

Don't worry, Don, it's *much* easier than you think. It's also somewhat easier than the procedures that Art Campbell already posted.

As Art correctly stated, the first step is to remove the reinserted detailed TOC, which you added to the book as a static book component rather than as a generated file. Do this from the book window.

The second step is to identify the file that is the outline TOC and use Windows to remove it from the directory where the book file and the chapter files reside. You can keep it if you wish, but you'll probably want to give it a new name that helps you identify how/why it's different from the "live" TOC.

The third step is to place the file for the formatted, detailed TOC (or a copy o fthe file) into the directory you're using for the book and to give it the proper name. The "magic" name is booknameTOC.fm, where the string "bookname" is the name of the book file (without extension).

The last step is to set up the book file to generate/update the TOC as you want it.

If you did, in fact, remove the outline TOC from the book file already, you need to set up for a new TOC using the Add>Table of Contents command from the book file. (You do *not* want to use File>Add as Art recommended in his first procedure, because that adds it as a static content file which will never be updated.) In the Set Up Table of Contents dialog, select the paragraph tags you want to include, verify that the specified suffix is TOC (to match the way you remnamed the formatted TOC file), and click OK. Then in the Update Book dialog, click Update. At that point FrameMaker will look for an existing file with the expected name (booknameTOC.fm), and since it finds one it will update that existing formatted file rather than generating a new, unformatted TOC.

If, on the other hand, the book file still includes a generated file icon (which is different than a static content file icon, in case you've never looked closely) for the now unwanted outline TOC, you need to highlight that file in the book window and then choose Edit>Set Up Table of Contents to revise the list of paragraphs to include. Once you've selected the para tags for your detailed outline and verified the correct suffix string, proceed to update the book and you're done.

-Fred Ridder