FM 9 Keyboard Shortcuts (ATTN: R. Jacquez!)

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Mar 31 08:34:16 PDT 2009

Diane Gaskill wrote:

My book files are never buried behind any chapters. I keep my FM area
organized so that this does not happen.  A litle extra work at the
beginning but it saves time later.

========================

My book files are never buried either -- I always open the book file
first, then the chapter files.  And up until FM 9, "Alt+w, 1" would
instantly bring the book file to the front, since it was always number 1
in the Window menu list.  In FM 9, the book file doesn't even appear in
the list.

One "plus" about FM9 -- the User Guide actually has a long chapter
devoted to keyboard shortcuts for navigation, menu choices, equation
editor, and so on.  Such documentation was woefully lacking in previous
versions.

A very big MINUS: almost no shortcuts are described for dealing with the
user interface.  Nor do shortcuts appear in the tool tips of the
interface itself.  I am beginning to truly fear that no shortcuts for
the interface even exist.

It seems that Adobe's developers have decided that everybody loves using
the mouse and nobody would prefer to be able to close pods/panels,
switch between documents/books, hide/show the interface, etc., by using
keyboard commands.  Almost every instruction in the User Guide for
manipulating the interface includes the words "click," "double-click,"
or "right-click."  Hitting that itsy-bitsy double-arrow icon to close
the Designers, using a hi-res laptop screen and touchpad while commuting
on the subway calls for a greater degree of fine motor skills than I
have yet developed.

A challenge to our resident evangelist, MR. JACQUEZ: give us a tutorial
that shows us how to use this product without using the mouse.  At the
very least, give us a list of keyboard commands for UI manipulation.
How do I dismiss pods and panels?  How do I switch between Workspaces?
Between open document tabs?  Between pages of the Designer dialogs?
(That new feature that toggles UI visibility is absolutely terrific!!  I
would use it dozens of times a day!  ...but not if I have to use the
wretched mouse.)

Best,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

PS: For a good laugh, have a look at the "Index" of the FM9 User Guide.
  (It takes up just over four columns in a three-column layout -- on
pages 535-536!)