Conditional text for single-sourcing

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Tue May 12 10:52:42 PDT 2009

Whooooaaa . . . .

It WORKS! Thank you, eter.

In case anyone else is interested, here is what works:

Scenario: I have two conditional text tags: PDF and Online.

For my PDF, which people will print and use in the field, I want this to show as my table title:

Table 5.1  Connections and Switches

For my online help, I want this to show:

Connections and Switches

To set it up, I entered this text into the Table Title field (the one that ends with a pilcrow):

Connections and Switches <return>
Connections and Switches [The pilcrow appears here, FYI]

So, I have two paragraphs in my Table Title field.

I tagged the first one with my TableTitle tag, which inserted the autonumber, which happens to be 5.1. I then went into the Pagination tab of the Paragraph Designer for that tag. under Format I selected "Run-in Head" and clicked "Apply."

I tagged the second paragraph with Body tag.

Now when I display the PDF conditional text, I get "Table 5.1  Connections and Switches" only.

When I display the online conditional text, I get "Connections and Switches" only.

The "Run-in" setting for the Table Title does not cause it to run into, say, the first Heading cell or the first line of the next paragraph. It ends with the TableTitle field, I guess because it is an isolated text flow as Peter said.

Awesome! Thanks again!

--Nancy