embedding base 14 fonts

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Sat May 16 08:44:52 PDT 2009

The pdf I created for press publication of a quarterly journal for a
nonprofit organization does not have all fonts -- especially base 14
fonts -- embedded, which is required by the out-of-state printer we are using.

I checked the settings in Distiller 9.0 and "Embed all fonts" is
checked. But base 14 fonts are exempt.

The printer rep said they can do the embedding for a surcharge, but
I'd rather not go that route.

I've read up a much as I could handle on base 14 fonts, and have seen
something called "PDF enhancer" by Apago, which runs $199 for the
Standard Edition for Windows, $399 for the Professional Edition, and
lots more for the two server versions. I can't see in their
descriptions which -- if any -- embeds base 14 fonts, plus I'm not
crazy about the pricing either.

So what to do?

-- Kenpo in Atlanta