Frame vs Indesign vs alternatives??

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Sun May 17 17:52:30 PDT 2009

I've added a few notes to Jared's comments.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Jared Crawford <jarednc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, Laurie.
>
>> since we're the ones who will be converting the old docs/maintaining etc.
>
> It sounds like you have existing content in FrameMaker format, which is not a deal breaker but it does take time to put such content into InDesign files.
>
> If you want to talk your client out of using InDesign, you should probably point to the effort needed to convert the existing content and InDesign's learning curve.

Depending on the existing layouts, MIF Filter, a dtptools.com ID
plug-in, may solve the conversion issues with varying degrees of fuss
and attention. You can download and use it as much as you like, to
evaluate its conversions for your needs; it's not time-limited, nor
crippled in conversion features. However, to save, print, export to
PDF, or otherwise use the converted ID files, you need to buy page
credits. The more credits you buy at one time, the less the unit cost,
like phone minutes. There's also a free FM-to-MIF batch conversion
tool that's not crippled or limited in any way. In my InDesign
Magazine review of MIF Filter, I gave it high marks for accurately
converting unfancy well-constructed FM documents. However, some FM
features have no exact ID counterparts; for example, run-in paragraphs
and side headings. These are converted with whatever fudging is
necessary to visually match the FM layouts. If editing the converted
documents causes text to reflow, you may need to give individual
attention to these simulated FM features.

> Template design is non-trivial. If you have an existing FrameMaker template, it could save a lot of time to just continue using it.

One affordable conversion strategy might be to purchase enough page
credits to convert the FM template(s) with MIF Filter, and work it
(them) into shape. You can save FM content as RTF, or convert it to
RTF with MIF2GO, and place the RTF into your customized ID version of
the FM template(s).

> I am a technical writer and used FrameMaker for about ten years before my current position, where I use InDesign CS3. Based on my experience with both tools and what I've read about InDesign CS4, I agree with Peter and Art's perspective.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices