Frame vs InDesign vs. alternatives??

David Creamer ideaslists at ideastraining.com
Mon May 18 06:49:40 PDT 2009

Generally, unless you are using heavy XML (InDesign does XML but not as
advanced) or DITA (which ID does not support), it is a heated race. If you
are doing advanced XML or DITA, then Frame is the way to go.

Frame's conditions are slightly more advanced in that they can be applied to
table rows; ID's conditions can only be applied to the entire table. Other
condition features are similar.

ID's Indexing is slightly easier with use of it's topic list in the Index
panel, but I believe that ID only allows one index per book.

ID supports advanced OpenType formatting (and OT fonts are cross-platform,
so you could use ID on Windows).

Other notes...

As mentioned, ID is more sophisticated in the typography and layout
departments.

ID has GREP find/change, GREP supported formatting, nested styles.

ID cannot span columns with subheads if working with a multi-column layouts,
and does not have run-in heads.

InDesign's table styles are more complicated, but more advanced above
Frame's. ID is more advanced when importing Excel files, plus ID can link to
Excel files for auto-updates. ID's table styles do not contain any geometry
(size) information, but there is a plug-in available for that, and to not
generate automatic table titles as part of the table style.

Frame's variables are slightly more advanced, especially when concerning
using character styles. (ID does not have the table continuation variable)

InDesign has a separate product called InCopy for allowing others to edit
text while the InDesign file is being worked on. (InDesign can handle all
the text edits too.) InCopy can be used to generate new text, as can Word.

InDesign's PDF export functions are more advanced. (Current versions of CS3
and CS4 do not have a size issue with PDFs.)

This is not a complete comparison by any means, but should be enough (with
the other posts) to form an opinion.

There is a converter for MIF files to ID at:
<http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=mfid>

Although I have not updated it to Frame 9 and IDCS4 (my bad), I have a
comparison chart at:
<http://www.ideastraining.com/PDFs/SelectingDTPprogram.pdf>

As a Mac user (and certified Apple Consultant), I would take a hard look at
using ID on Windows with OT fonts to keep the client happy. That being said,
I use Frame with Boot Camp and Parallels all the time. As long as the client
has a reasonably fast computer with 4-8 GB RAM, they should be fine.

If I didn't address any specific issue, please let me know.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training & Consultation
http://www.IDEAStraining.com
Adobe Certified Trainer for Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign,
InCopy, FrameMaker, Dreamweaver, Premiere, GoLive, and PageMaker
Authorized Quark Training Provider
Enfocus PitStop, Markzware FlightCheck, & FileMaker Authorized Trainer