Motivating end users to read the user manual

John Sgammato jsgammato at IMPRIVATA.com
Mon May 18 07:57:03 PDT 2009

I had a happy Monday this morning when a fellow in for a training class
sought me out and shook my hand for writing a good upgrade guide. He
said he gave up reading documentation about 5 years ago when everything
started coming out on CD and seemed to be written overseas by people who
didn't use the product. He had lost confidence in all user
documentation.
When he was forced into an upgrade of our product, he was glad to get a
printed upgrade guide (it is a complex procedure) and he was happy to
see that it accurately reflected his experience.
In this case, the primary motivaiton to read the manual was the
complexity of the task he faced. After that, the availability of a
printed manual made him feel like we were serious about helping him to
succeed, and the accuracy of the material helped him keep his confidence
up as he soldiered on through the long, scary process. He says he will
now continue to read our documentation because he feels he can trust it.

John Sgammato
Principal Technical Writer
Imprivata, Inc