Screen captures and sizing

Susan Curtzwiler SusanCu at vmc.com
Mon May 18 09:45:45 PDT 2009

Hi All,
   I just completed a large project - about 240 screen captures - that were captured in SnagIt and imported by reference into the FrameMaker files.
I agree with the last comment, to import at a setting that best accepts the size of your image, and as stated, do not use the corner handles to manually adjust your images.

I used SnagIt with two options: the region (static images) and the time delayed (drop-down menus).

We decided to run test samples, since our screens varied in size.

The decision was to use a range of DPI settings depending on the size of the screen capture.

Basically, I  used a DPI range of 72 to 144 from the small (like the error message box size) to the very large, (like the capture of a database screen). From that point, once I got a good DPI size, if further adjustments were needed, I used the FMKR scale tool and adjusted by percentage to maintain the smoothing and aspect ratio.

Results: The training staff liked the improved images.

 This process was adapted from info I gathered from this users group, so I hope sharing the results helps.

Good Luck,
Sue