Screen captures and sizing

Ian Hawkins ihawkins at sundorne.com
Mon May 18 11:01:11 PDT 2009

Short answer?

Capturing with SnagIt, saving as PNG, and importing by reference are all
good practices.

When you import into FrameMaker, use one of the following DPI settings,
depending on the size of the image:
72
96
120
144
192

Longer answer?

To get the best results when viewing a screen capture in a PDF, the
image should display at full size. That is, every dot (pixel) in the
image should correspond to a single pixel on the computer monitor.

Acrobat and Adobe Reader use some default values for displaying images.
For the most part, they assume that the monitor displays 96 pixels/inch.
Yes, this is "fictional" as you point out, but it's still important. If
I create a screen capture, import it into FrameMaker at 96 DPI, create a
PDF, and display it in Adobe Reader at 100% zoom, the image will be
perfect. It will be the same size as the original screen capture, and
there will be no loss of quality. At any other zoom level the image will
be degraded because there is no way to match the image pixels perfectly
with monitor pixels.

When the original image is too large, you have to use a higher DPI. If
you choose one of the values in the list above, you increase the chances
that users will be able to find the right zoom level.
72 DPI matches a zoom level of 75%.
96 DPI matches 100%.
120 DPI matches 125%.
144 DPI matches 150%.
192 DPI matches 200%.

There are some caveats for this advice. Users can change their operating
system defaults or Adobe Reader defaults so that 96 DPI is no longer the
default value for displaying images. Most don't, though, so you can set
up your PDFs for the majority.

HTH,
Ian