Motivating end users to read the user manual

Sharon Burton sharon at anthrobytes.com
Thu May 21 07:16:06 PDT 2009

Hey, Cal!

Or embedded help might be an option. But we're guessing what they want. Ask
*them* - they contact the writer asking for help. At that point, call them
or email them asking for time to talk about what they need.

Altho it's really hard, explaining what you're doing doesn't help. You don't
get to decide if what you've done is the right stuff. The users get to
decide that. Your users are telling you that what you provide is the wrong
stuff. Only they can tell you what the right stuff is.

This is the ethnographic part of what we do - talking to people, looking at
how they do what they do, asking questions about how they do it. Then you
figure out how to provide user assistance that fits what they need.

sharon

Sharon Burton
951-369-8590
IM: sharonvburton at yahoo.com