Chinese Characters in User Variables

Nate Stelton etan at claritycsi.com
Thu May 21 09:00:46 PDT 2009

Phil Heron said:

> You don't specify which version of FrameMaker you're using,
> but, at least for versions 7.2 and earlier, you need to set
> the operating system's language for non-Unicode programs to
> an appropriate value to successfully use Far Eastern
> languages in dialog boxes.
>
> 1. In Windows Control Panel, open the "Regional and Language
> Options" applet.
> 2. In the "Regional and Language Options" dialog, display the
> "Advanced" tab.
> 3. Select the language you want to work with, for example
> Chinese (PRC).
> 4. Restart the computer.

Woo hoo! This worked. I do use FM 7.2. This particular machine's
Regional and Language Options did not have the third Advanced tab,
so in the Regional Options tab, I just changed the first box to
Chinese (PRC) and rebooted.

I noticed that in my Variable edit space, the Chinese characters
do not display properly, but in the document you need to ensure
that the variable is in the correct font (in my case, SimSun),
and it will then work.

Many thanks, Phil!