Containers and Insets-Building the Manual

Judy judy at hypack.com
Fri May 22 07:35:26 PDT 2009

Jing Torralba wrote:

> I use Richard's technique in creating insets in multiple flows within
> the same source document. The insets populate cells of many similar
> tables where one table uses 100% of the insets and the rest, only a
> subset of all insets in different combinations. The tables describe
> the options for adding an administrator, and there are three types of
> administrators with unique and common options.
>
> Once I nailed down the process, inset management worked like a charm.
>
> Judy, I want to add this, in case you are producing PDFs and there are
> cross-references from your inset files to external files, meaning, to
> the container file itself or to other chapters in the book. These
> xrefs will be broken in the PDF. For this you can use Rick Quatro's
> script to unlock the insets, generate the PDF, then lock them again.
> This preserves the links.
>

> HTH too!
>
> Jing
>
> ,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,.-*+*-.,!

I've actually used Richard's technique for insets smaller than a topic,
but hadn't thought about doing it for larger sections.  It would
certainly cut down on the number of files I have to organize *and* that
FM has to open and close.  I'll think about how to organize things and
give it a try.

I don't usually have the Character and Paragraph Designers open, but
I'll keep it in mind.

I'd also picked up on the problems with cross-references between PDF
documents, but thanks for the reminder.

Thanks so much!
Judy