Difficulty Creating a TOC

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 08:40:17 PDT 2009

I've done this kind of thing many times to pick up the name and description of function calls from separate paragraphs in API documentation. It's quite simple, although a bit obscure.

If your two paragraphs have tags Para1 and Para2 in the text, your TOC will contain paragraphs Para1TOC and Para2TOC. The key step to attaining what you want is to define the Para1TOC tag to be a Run-In Head (on the Pagination tab of the Paragraph Designer). On the TOC reference page of the TOC file, you'll want to include the <$pagenum> building block only in the Para2TOC prototype paragraph and also set an appropriate tab in the corresponding paragraph format definition.

-Fred Ridder