FM crashing upon attempt to create PDF - 3Qs

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Nov 12 07:05:18 PST 2009

Agreed with the comments so far.

*Most* laptops that are more than a year or two old cannot even have
more than 4GB physically installed - the hardware does not allow it, and
a 32-bit OS reduces this to somewhere between 2.8GB and 3.7GB -
depending on the graphics card in there, the add-on hardware elements,
etc.

Even today, when you buy a "new" laptop, to get more than 4GB (most are
8GB max, but there is a 16GB Mobile Workstation laptop at Dell -
expensive), you have to make sure to pick the correct model! Else you
get limited to 4GB installed.

Then, as already mentioned, to take advantage of that extra memory, you
have to run a 64-bit OS. Which is generally okay nowadays, but you need
to make sure that what you use is also compatible, or you have to spend
time figuring things out and configuring applications accordingly
(Windows 7 does make this easier). Old 32-bit drivers are, however, a
problem. If a peripheral or app uses 32-bit drivers, you cannot use it
on a 64-bit OS.

Note that FrameMaker runs fine on a 64-bit OS.