Help creating bibliography entries

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Nov 19 09:38:06 PST 2009

Rob wrote:
> I currently have all of my bibliography entries in a table in the
> following format:
>
> [Abc03]	Abc, Xyz, "A Title," A Journal, vol. 335, pp. 427-47, 2003.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to
> grab the "Abc03" part of the tag without grabbing the [ ] brackets
> too.

One way:

In your table, create 3 pgf tags, OpenBrkt, Ref, CloseBrkt.

OpenBrkt is defined with "[" as its autonumber, pagination set to
Run-in, and Next pgf = Ref.

Ref is defined with no autonumber, pagination set to Run-in, and
Next Pgf = CloseBrkt

CloseBrkt is defined with "]" as its autonumber.

To create a biblio entry, tag an empty cell with OpenBrkt, press Enter,
type the reference code, press Enter.  Then in your body, x-ref to the
Ref paragraph tags.  You can mess with x-ref format definitions to
include opening or closing brackets for various scenarios, but it's
probably easier just to type them each time before/after the x-ref(s).

If you have a lot of entries already defined in your table, you can
change them quickly.  Put the OpenBrkt tag on the clipboard with Copy
Special, select the first column of your table, and Find/Change each "["
by Pasting (Look In Selection).  Then Find/Change To Text with nothing
in the replacement box, to get rid of the original typed "[".  Repeat
for "]".

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical writers explain How to Work the Product."