FM 7.2 deletes files from disk

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Sun Nov 22 20:25:40 PST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:20:45 +0200, "David Shaked \(Wernick\)"
<david at almondweb.com> wrote:

>I am running FM 7.2 on Windows XP Pro, fully patched.
>
>I have a book containing 11 *.fm files. I have edited the book innumerable
>times without any problem.
>
>Tonight, all seems well until I run Edit > Update Book. The console then
>reports:
>
>"Cannot save one or more files in the book. Open each file on the desktop.
>Check the permissions of the file on the disk, and then save the file
>manually. Couldn't save: <list of *.fm files>"
>
>When I check in the Windows Explorer, I find that the listed *.fm files have
>been deleted from the disk. They are not hidden, and they are not in the
>Recycle Bin. They are gone.

Connecting the dots... I wonder if it could be related to
this issue with another Adobe product, RoboHelp 8, that
had a very similar symptom:

>To: HATT at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [HATT] Re: Disappearing Files in RoboHelp 8 - Possible Virus?
>From: "Peter Grainge" <hatt at grainge.info>
>Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:57:35 -0000
>
>See the announcement on the RH HTML forum on Adobe's site. This is not a virus.
>
>http://forums.adobe.com/community/robohelp/robohelp_html

>Peter Grainge
>www.grainge.org

Since you are using Frame 7.2, not Frame 9, it does not seem likely.
But still, the coincidence is interesting.  Perhaps a Windows problem
to which both are vulnerable?  You may want to check the Adobe forums
for Frame.