Mentioning open source softwares

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 27 05:41:12 PST 2009

Dear all,

is there any "rule" about how to mention open source software in technical documentation?

The software I am currently documenting (MashUp Composer) requires from users that they run a database creation script. To do so, they need to launch a DB administration tool such as MySQL Administrator and MySQL Qury Browser to set user privileges, create the required DB schema, run the script, etc.

How would you recommend to present things?

Can I say, for example: Launch your favorite DB administration tool (for example MySQL Administrator).

Am I supposed to add copyright mentions for open source software?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Mathieu.