Replace on part of a wildcards search

Les Smalley l_c_smalley at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 10:01:25 PDT 2009

Hi Avi,

The asterisk ( * ) wildcard matches any character EXCEPT
spaces or punctuation; the wildcard character to use for those is the
verticle bar ( | ) but also remember that the tab character is "\t" (no
quotes) ...

Regardless, unfortunately you can't do it with
FrameMaker as you describe attempting.  The search tool removes
everything matched by the search string and inserts the replace string
in its place, so you will also lose the "Command" string.  It is a
great disappointment that a real GREP search capability (or even more
general awk text processing features) has never been implemented in FM.

If
you search for just "Unit32" and replace that with "SHORT_ID" you can
do what you want by careful use of the 'Change & Find' or just
'Find' buttons (and I understand how tedious and error-prone this can
be.)

It may be posible to do this via scripting (e.g.
FrameScript, etc.; I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in) or
possibly by saving to MIF and using a text based editor on that, then
reopening it in FM to verify the results.

FWIW, grep and awk
(and a number of other unix tools) are available as utilities for
Windows and any search engine can point you to places to get them.

– Les